Sunday, June 29, 2008

Purple-flowering Raspberry

This member of the rose family, purple -flowering raspberry (Rubus odoratus), has no thorns, though young stems are sticky and hairy. It grows in shady and partly shaded areas along one of the paths I frequently walk in the forest. When it’s not in bloom, I hardly notice the plants, but this time of year it's hard to ignore.

The berries look a lot like regular raspberries although just a bit flatter, but I’ve never tried them because I didn’t know until today that they’re safe to eat. ;-) Apparently they taste even better than other raspberries…BUT they’re fuzzy and very seedy. Hmmm, I think I will might try one when they’re ripe later this summer.

The leaves resemble maple leaves and often measure up to 10 inches across. The leaves and stems are said to have a lovely aroma but, you know what! I’ve never noticed that. My nose will pay better attention next time we're walking in the woods.

7 comments:

Small City Scenes said...

Very pretty. Looks like what we called Thimbleberry, or wild Raspberry. but a difference--white flowers and the botanical name is rubus parviflorus. the same big maple shaped leaves though.

BTW Watch the greasy finger remarks.....LOL I guess I'd better keep my fingers off the lens. MB

dot said...

It's really a pretty color. I don't think I've ever had a raspberry of any kind.

Shammickite said...

I'll have to watch for those next time I'm walking in York Region Forests. But I try to avoid the forst in the summer cos of the mozzies.

Kerri Farley said...

A beautiful blossom!

Tom said...

If you are sure they can be eat you most try them.. Raspberry Jam/Jell is sooo nice

Rose said...

I had never heard of these--but it sure makes a beautiful picture!

Heather said...

HA! You wouldn't believe how I found this post, well, you would but still....I googled 'purple flowering raspberry' and looked under images. Saw this one and clicked.

Pretty impressive to have found you like this, when I follow anyway :)

So, thank you for sharing the name of these berries. We have them lining our back yard, and the funniest part of this is that I think I google their name, every year. When will it ever stick? Probably never.

Friends who encourage me

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
East Gwillimbury is a rural town less than an hour north of Toronto, Canada's largest city. My family calls me CameraGirl because I take my camera with me wherever I go.