Thursday, June 5, 2008

The York-Durham Heritage Railway II

Yep, I'm still hanging around the Uxbridge Train Station.

A caboose! Raise your hand if you remember seeing a caboose passing over the rails at the tail end of a freight train. (I'm waving my hand wildly.) Canadian railways began phasing them out in 1989, opting to replace them with an electronic safety device that few of us would recognize if we saw one. The decision was made to save railways money. When I was a kid I liked to wave at the caboose crew. I've never waved at the electronic device.

The windows at the top of this caboose are in a cupola where a crew member sat in an elevated seat to watch over the train cars ahead.
Have you ever wondered what's inside a caboose? Well, now you know.
This is a short and stubby open freight car. I wonder what it used to haul.
Across the street from the station three painted panels on the wall of a large building celebrate Uxbridge's railway heritage.

I hope you enjoyed your visit. ;-)

4 comments:

Darla said...

A caboose! I haven't thought of a caboose in a long time. I suspect they are gone on our trains too. And yes, I always waved!

Great murals.

Darla

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

EG: I certainly remember the caboose, and I there were always people in it. The train goes by and i always miss it in the end.
The mural is really well done.

Rose said...

Waving wildly here too! I still think it strange every time a train passes and it don't have a caboose...I don't think I am ever going to get used to it.

Tom said...

We had trains come by with open wagons like that and they would all be carrying coal for the power stations and mills. Some had stone for the building trade.

I am enjoying seeing these.

Friends who encourage me

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
East Gwillimbury is a rural town less than an hour north of Toronto, Canada's largest city. My family calls me CameraGirl because I take my camera with me wherever I go.