Monday, July 22, 2013

Bee, Butterfly & Milkweed/Nature Notes

Milkweed nectar must be delicious!

Bees and some butterflies can't resist common milkweed (Asclepias syriacus), and my camera couldn't resist taking photos of the bee on this plant.

Largest square: closeup of viceroy, a butterfly that looks a lot like a monarch. It's here you so you can see what this butterfly looks like since - as you can see in the next photo (moving clockwise) - the viceroy didn't want to stop to have its portrait taken. In the next four squares, a bee is fascinated by the fading blossoms on common milkweed.

* Please note that I include botanical names because common names differ from area to area.

Please visit Michelle at Rambling Woods for more NATURE NOTES.

19 comments:

Michelle said...

How gorgeous!

Jill said...

Beautiful!

Kathy said...

This is an absolutely beautiful collage!

Revrunner said...

Wonderful!

The Furry Gnome said...

Nice pictures!

Randy said...

Busy Bee!

Stephanie said...

Gorgeous butterfly!!

Lisa Gordon said...

This is a gorgeous mosaic!

MadSnapper said...

butterflies, bees and BEAUTY...

PerthDailyPhoto said...

A beautiful summer collage EG..those busy bees are hard at work there :)

Susan Anderson said...

I wish I saw more butterflies out in the world. I enjoy seeing such a beautiful one here.

=)

MyMaracas said...

Beautiful photos! I have lots of milkweed, but only a few monarchs. Or maybe Viceroys? I can't really tell from a distance.

Small City Scenes said...

Excellent!! MB

Anonymous said...

I read about the importance of milkweed on Michelle's blog. You have beautiful pictures of the plant and it's primary users! Lovely.

eileeninmd said...

I love the butterfly, beautiful images and mosaic!

kayerj said...

looks like the bees and the butterflies are in heaven.

Rose said...

This is a great collage...love the contrast of the viceroy against that green background.

Rambling Woods said...

Wonderful collage... Still waiting for a monarch and losing hope... Michelle

Anonymous said...

These are all wonderful pictures! I love checking out the milkweeds to see who's hanging around.

Friends who encourage me

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
East Gwillimbury is a rural town less than an hour north of Toronto, Canada's largest city. My family calls me CameraGirl because I take my camera with me wherever I go.